Whole Wheat Steam Buns (Sponge and Dough Method)
You will need a scale to measure out the ingredients!
- 456.6 grams Whole Wheat Flour 100%
- 264.8 grams Water 58%
- 6.8 grams Instant Dry Yeast 1.5%
- 114.2 grams Whole Wheat Flour 100%
- 77.6 grams Water 68%
- 45.7 grams Sugar 10%
- 5.7 grams Baking Powder 1%
- 28.5 grams Shortening 25%
- 728.3 grams Sponge 638%
- Dissolve yeast in water.
- Mix all the ingredients for 3 minutes on slow speed.
- Bulk Fermentation – 45 minutes to 1 hour at 30 deg °C / 86 °F for 30 minutes.
Preparing Final Dough
- Scale all ingredients.
- Mix until gluten is developed.
- Remove dough and place it on the counter, roll and shape into a log.
- Divide and pre-shape into rounds of 90g.
- Rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Flatten into ball into disk. Roll the edges of each disk towards the center, keeping the middle thicker than the rim of the disk.
- Place the filling in the middle.
- Final shape into round balls or spiral pleating shape and place on a piece of parchment paper (2 ½ in by 4 in wide).
- Proof at 30 deg °C / 86 °F for 30 minutes.
- Steam for 12 minutes.
- Serve immediately.