Whole Wheat Steam Bun (Straight Dough Method)
You will need a scale to measure out the ingredients!
- 570.8 grams Whole Wheat Flour 100%
- 342.5 grams Water 60%
- 6.8 grams Instant Dry Yeast 1.2%
- 45.7 grams Sugar 8%
- 5.7 grams Baking Powder 1%
- 28.5 grams Shortening 5%
- Scale all ingredients.
- Dissolved yeast in water.
- Mix until gluten is developed.
- Place dough in a slightly grease bowl, cover with plastic wrap or lid. Bulk fermentation for 45 minutes to 1 hour at 30 deg °C / 86 °F.
- After fermentation, remove dough and place it on the counter, degas and roll and shape into a log.
- Divide and pre-shape into rounds of 90g.
- Rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Flatten into ball into disk. Roll the edges of each disk towards the center, keeping the middle thicker than the rim of the disk.
- Place the filling in the middle.
- Final shape into round balls or spiral pleating shape and place on a piece of parchment paper (2 ½ in by 4 in wide).
- Proof at 30 deg °C / 86 °F for 30 minutes.
- Steam for 12 minutes.
- Serve immediately.