Whole Wheat Challah Bread
You will need a scale to measure out ingredients!
- 450 grams Whole Wheat Flour 100%
- 6.8 grams Salt 1.5%
- 6.8 grams Yeast 1.5%
- 67.5 grams Sugar 15%
- 90 grams Olive Oil 20%
- 45 grams Eggs 10%
- 234 grams Water 52%
- Scale all ingredients.
- Use a professional stand mixer, place all ingredients in the mixing bowl except for half of the olive oil.
- Use a spiral dough hook and mix at low speed for 3 minutes. Scrape dough bowl and add in the remaining olive oil. Continue mixing at low speed for 1 minute. Change to medium speed or 2nd speed until the dough is developed. The dough will be smooth and slightly sticky.
- Transferred the dough into a slightly greased bowl, cover with a plastic wrap or lid and let it ferment for 2 hours. After 1 hour, perform a stretch and fold. Start from one end of the dough, put your fingers underneath the dough, pull, stretch, and fold over onto the top of the dough. Rotate the bowl at 45-degree angle and repeat 3 more times. Turn the dough over so that the smooth side is on top. Cover and let it ferment for the remaining 1 hour.
- After 2 hours, transfer the dough onto a lightly flour surface counter.
- Divide into 300g each, flatten the dough into rectangle and pre-shape into 5” cylinders. Cover with plastic and let it rest for 20 minutes.
- Roll into even strands of 24” long. Braid into a 3-Strand Challah. Place the braided Challah onto a line parchment paper, lightly brush egg wash, cover and let it proof for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven at 400 °F.
- Lightly brush egg wash over the challah just before baking. Bake for 18-23 minutes. If the surface starts to brown quickly, after 15 minutes place an aluminum foil over the challah bread.
- Remove and transfer the challah bread onto a wire rack and let it cool before serving.