Sourdough Whole Wheat Bagels
You will need a scale to measure out the ingredients!
- 785 grams Whole Wheat Flour 100%
- 12 grams Salt 2%
- 31 grams Sugar 4%
- 565 grams Water 72%
- 157 grams Starter 20%
- Scale all ingredients.
- Use a professional mixer, place starter and water in the mixing bowl and mix for 1 minute to break the starter apart.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients, mix at slow speed for 2 minutes. Switch to medium speed and continue mixing until gluten is fully developed.
- Place dough in a slightly grease bowl, cover with plastic wrap or lid. Bulk fermentation for 3 hours at room temperature.
- Divide and pre-shape into rounds of 125g. Rest 5-10 minutes.
- Poke your finger in the middle of the rounds to make a hole and enlarge the hole.
- Place on a parchment line paper and proof for 30 minutes.
- 10 minutes before the bagels are done proofing, measure out 1000 ml of water, 10 grams of baking soda, and 10 grams of sugar and put in a pot or bowl. Bring the water to boil.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 °F.
- Boil 1-2 bagels at a time, 30 seconds on each side. Remove and place on a rack to drain excess water.
- Dip bagels into toppings of choice, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, and other toppings.
- Place on a parchment line paper tray and bake for 15 minutes at 400°F.
- Remove and transfer the cooked bagels onto a wire rack and let it cool before serving.