Whole Grain Sourdough Loaf
Yield: 1 Loaf/ 85% Hydration/ **Feed starter 4 hours before mix using this ratio, or use your ripe and ready levain: *2/3 cup starter / 1/2 cup water (95 degrees if pulling starter directly from fridge) / 1 ¾ cups of flour / *You will need 1/2 cup of starter – the rest is extra and goes back in the fridge
- 1/2 cup Starter
- 4 cups Whole Grain Flour
- 1 3/4 - 2 cups Water Adjust water if needed
- 3 tsp Salt
- Mix Dough. DDT= 75 Degrees F
- In a large bowl, measure water and starter. Stir to break up and dissolve starter. Add Flour and mix thoroughly to ensure all flour is hydrated. Cover bowl with plastic wrap or towel and autolyse for 1 hour.
- Add salt to dough and mix until integrated.
- Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap and Bulk ferment at room temp for 2 ½ hours:3 Stretch and folds at: 30 min, 1 hour, 1.5 hours. Let rest with no folds for final hour.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Shape and place in proofing bowl. Dust with flour and either wrap in flour sack towel or place in ziplock baggie. Place in refrigerator for final long, cold proof 12-16 hours.
- 45 minutes before baking, place combo cooker in oven and preheat to 500. Carefully remove heated combo cooker, pull shaped loaf from fridge and turn dough into shallow base pan then score. Place cover on, return to oven and bake for 30 minutes. Remove dome/cover, lower oven temp to 450 and continue baking for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until crust is walnut colored and loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
This recipe is from Grist & Toll. THANK YOU GRIST & TOLL for sharing this recipe with us and our community!